Contact us

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Offline Profile  

Hi dbisignani,

To use VSS with Visual Studio, please follow the below steps:

1. Choose Microsoft Visual SourceSafe as the current source control plug-in (Visual Studio->Tools->Options->Source Control->Plug-in Selection).

2. Open the solution in Visual Studio.

3. Right click on the current solution in Solution Explorer and choose "Add Solution to Source Control".

4. Choose a SourceSafe Database in the "Open SourceSafe Database" window and log on.

5. Choose the location and input the name for the solution in the "Add to SourceSafe" window.

6. Normally you get the question "Project $/... does not exist, would you like to create it?", choose Yes to proceed with the adding process.

7. Now that the files in the solution are all added to source control. You can perform "check out", "check in", etc. operations on them.
dbisignani wrote:
How do I add these files to VSS? Do I have to add each file through the File | Add function in VSS?

You can add the files from Visual Studio to VSS as described above.
dbisignani wrote:
Is each project in the solution a separate folder in VSS?

Normally each project has a separate (sub)folder in VSS, much like how it is on your hard disk.
dbisignani wrote:
I would think that a folder with subfolders in it would allow me to load the entire solution when checking files out. Is this true?

To load the entire solution when checking out, you will first need to add the entire solution to sourcesafe as described above. :)