Contact us

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Offline Profile  

Hi,
First, I would like to say that I am impressed with what I read about Source Anywhere and considering it for my source code control tool (most probably hosted if not standalone).

I have had some exposure to VSS in the past (long time ago) but not with admin functions. I recently joined a company where VSS was used as a repository for source sontrol of unconventional program files - special formats and extensions, some binary formats etc - PLC (programmable Logic Controller) source files (with extensions like .rss, .fld, .CxwSF) etc, AutoCAD files (.DWG, DXF), HMI files etc..The Applications that edits and compiles these files are varied - like GE Proficy, Versamax, Square-D PanelMate, AB RSLogix etc.
Additionally, no one here knows the Administrative password to the existing VSS Repository. Thus I have only a user access, and can "Get Latest Version" and "Check-out"/"Check-in" etc.

At this point, I would like to migrate the repository to Source Anywhere (either stand alone) or a single user-hosted. Since I am new, I need a lot of help/handholding. My initial questions are -

1. Please clarify the 1000 MB per user Plan - is the 1000 MB is the max size of the repository, so to get a 10 GB size I have to subscribe to a 10 user hosting plan?

2. Do I really need the admin password for the existing VSS repository in order to migrate to the Source Anywhere (hosted) or even SA Standalone ?

3. (This is just a comment to confirm I am not totally off the track) - When I store an unconventional file (extensions like .SwxCF), the only difference would be the VSS (or SA) will not recognise the application the application to open the file with. So to edit/compile etc, I have to check them first using the VSS interface into my local working directory, edit/compile them and check them back in with proper labels - version number etc. Please comment.

I will wait for your response.

Offline Profile  

Hi Tariqueislam,

Thank you for contacting Dynamsoft. For your issuue,

Quote:
1. Please clarify the 1000 MB per user Plan - is the 1000 MB is the max size of the repository, so to get a 10 GB size I have to subscribe to a 10 user hosting plan?

For Free Plan, the space is not expandable.
For other plans, you can add as much space as you need. The price of the extra space is $ 3/G/Month ($ 30/G/Year).

Quote:
2. Do I really need the admin password for the existing VSS repository in order to migrate to the Source Anywhere (hosted) or even SA Standalone ?

When you migrate from VSS to SAW as admin, you need to provide the admin password in the following step:
http://www.dynamsoft.com/help/SAW%20Sta ... tabase.htm
If you migrate from VSS to SAW as user, admin password is not needed, but information beyond your access rights will not be migrated.

Quote:
3. (This is just a comment to confirm I am not totally off the track) - When I store an unconventional file (extensions like .SwxCF), the only difference would be the VSS (or SA) will not recognise the application the application to open the file with. So to edit/compile etc, I have to check them first using the VSS interface into my local working directory, edit/compile them and check them back in with proper labels - version number etc. Please comment.

For unconventional file, if you want to edit/modify/etc it, you have to check them out first. But if you only want to view it, you can open it directly following steps:
1. Right click the file, select "view".
2. Select "use application" under "Select an external editor application".
3. Choose the application you want to open with.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Regards,

Offline Profile  

Hi Catherine,
Thanks for your kind reply. Yes, I do plan to either subscribe or buy a standalone server license. First I have to evaluate a projected amount of the space I will need.

About the current VSS repository I have - When I log (Netware Windows Login) into the computer (PC) it shows me that I have Admin permission in VSS - however, when I try to change my password, it first asks me the old password, which I do not know and cannot provide. That is the situation.

SO based on this condition, when I migrate the VSS repository, do I get to put in a new admin password for SAW?

Thanks.

-Tarique

Offline Profile  

Hi Tarique,

If you need to migrate as admin, not a user, then the admin password is necessary.

There are ways that may help you retrieve/reset the admin password, but please be noted that make a back up first and hack at your own risk.

The file "[VSS DB path]\data\um.dat" records the user information in current VSS database. By "hacking" this file, it may allow you to get the admin password. One way to do so is:
Create a new VSS database, copy the new "um.dat" file and replace the old one. Then the new user name/password should be used by the old database.

For other methods and more detailed information, you can refer to
http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums ... rcecontrol

Again, hacking is not recommended. We are not responsible for any consequence caused by this action.

Regards,