Contact us

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Offline Profile  

We currently are testing the SCM Hosted for use in a small development team (starting with 2 developers)
I have seen some strange behaviours, and I do want to know if others are having this same issues.

- After creating the solution / project and adding it to SCM, I tried to open it from another location. I have set the working folder, and did a recursive get. After opening the solution file in VS 2008 it didnt recognize the bindings. The SCM Software was succesfully installed and acted as the default sourcesafe plug-in.
This morning this behaviour dissapeared. (Cannot remember what I've done to repair it)

- I have added a new file to the solution (not to the project) in a so called solution folder in VS 2008. I checked in the changes and tried to recursively get the changes in the other workstation. It didnt show the solution folder or file. In the SCM Client the file was present but the history of the vs solution didn't show any newer versions. I had to check out the solution file and do it all over again...

- After opening a VS project and login into SCM I need to select a SCM Project. Why ? The VS Project already is part of a SCM Project.

- After adding a file into the project in workstation 1, and checking it into SCM, when I do a recursive get in workstation 2, the new file is retrieved, but visual studio shows it as a newly added file (with de 'plus' icon) instead of the checked-in file.

I need to make sure we have no issues at all with working disconnected. We currently work with sourcesafe and we are having lots of problems with broken databases and connections. I know it is not safe to work disconnected but it is our only solution since we need to VPN a lot.

Offline Profile  

Hi,

For the 1st issue, did you get any error message? If you can reproduce it, you can contact us at LiveHelp to schedule a GoToMeeting session:
http://www.dynamsoft.com/support/livehelp.aspx

For the 2nd issue, please make sure you checked in the solution file after you added the new file to the solution.

For the 3rd issue, it is a known issue of SCM Anywhere MSSCCI Plug-in. You can try SCM Anywhere VSPackage. For info on how to switch, you can refer to:
http://kb.dynamsoft.com/questions/510/H ... Package%3F

For the 4th issue, please try clicking File->Source Control->Refresh Status to refresh the file status.

SCM Anywhere supports working offline. You can refer to the online manual for more info:
http://www.scmsoftwareconfigurationmana ... ffline.htm

Thanks,

Offline Profile  

Thank you for your reply.
I'm trying the SCM Anywhere VSPackage right now...
If I view the source control tab in the stand alone client, every file has status 'missing'.
I can retrieve and view the file content from the repository, so I think this is a minor bug ?
And sometimes the solution file is checked out after adding it to source control and checking it in multiple times. Is this normal ?

I will test it further and try to reproduce it. I only have 11 MB but we are serious about this so I hope you can extend it while we are testing.

Offline Profile  

Hi,

If the status is missing, it means that the files are on SCM Anywhere Server, but don't exist in your working folder. Please make sure you set the working folder of the project in the standalone client to the solution folder.

>And sometimes the solution file is checked out after adding it to source control and checking it in multiple times. Is this normal ?

We have forwarded this issue to our development team and they will fix it in the next release. Thanks for reporting.

About space, you may send your request for more space (how much space you need) with your Organization ID to scmsupport@dynamsoft.com.

Thanks,

Offline Profile  

Hi Catherine,

I'm migrating the existing vs 2008 solutions to SCM Hosted.
First I uninstalled sourcesafe 2005, and registered the VsPackage.
I noticed visual studio does not remember the source control plug-in, and probably because of this every first time I open a solution it fails on the source control. I need to restart visual studio for it.
How can I fix this ?
Do you need log files ?

Stephen

Offline Profile  

Hi Stephen,

Please unbind the solution and then bind it back to SCM Anywhere Hosted VSPackage to see if works. Here are the detailed steps:

1. Unbind the solution. Open the solution in Visual Studio and go to "File -> Source Control -> Change Source Control". In the "Change Source Control" dialog box, highlight the solution and click "Unbind".

2. Restart Visual Studio.

3. Go to "Tools -> Options -> Source Control -> Plug-in Selection" and select "SCM Anywhere Hosted VSPackage" as the current source control plug-in.

4. Bind the solution to SCM Anywhere VSPackage. In Visual Studio, click "File -> Source Control -> Change Source Control", highlight the solution in the "Change Source Control" dialog box and click "Bind".

If the problem persists, it would be helpful if you can send us the log file. Meanwhile, please send your solution file, as well as the project file, to scmsupport@dynamsoft.com. Our support team will check them for you.

Also, you can contact us via LiveHelp to have a GoToMeeting session. With GoToMeeting, you can share your desktop and give us controls of your mouse and keyboard when necessary. Our LiveHelp can be found at:
www.dynamsoft.com/support/livehelp.aspx

Thanks.

Offline Profile  

I just sended the solution / project files and the logfiles. I tried the steps you asked with no luck.

Yesterday I also tried the offline working capability.
When going offline, all files will be getting the 'checked out' image.
It looks like when going back online, alle files are detected as edited and needs to be checked in.
How do we protect this from happening ?

Offline Profile  

Hi Stephen,

The offline issue is decided by the design of SCM Anywhere. The files are checked out if the server copy is not consistent with the local copy. Would you please let us know why you want to protect this from happening?

For the binding issue, to better pinpoint the cause, we'd like to have a GoToMeeting session with you. We will let our development team join the meeting. Will you be available during 6:00PM~7:00PM PST, Mar 9th?

Thanks,

Offline Profile  

Catherine wrote:
The offline issue is decided by the design of SCM Anywhere. The files are checked out if the server copy is not consistent with the local copy. Would you please let us know why you want to protect this from happening?

When going offline with sourcesafe, and working offline only the edited files will become checked out. When going online again only those files will be checked out. For purpose of versioning it will be better of this is the normal procedure.

Offline Profile  

Quote:
When going offline with sourcesafe, and working offline only the edited files will become checked out. When going online again only those files will be checked out. For purpose of versioning it will be better of this is the normal procedure.

SCM Anywhere should work this way as well. We can look into the issue in the meeting too.

Thanks.

Offline Profile  

We have confirmed with our development team that the binding issue is related to VS settings. Below are two solutions:

1.Try emptying the "C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\Microsoft\VisualStudio\9.0" folder to see if it solves the issue.

2. Start VS first and select the .sln file from VS rather than double-clicking the .sln file to open your project to avoid the issue.

Offline Profile  

For now, both issues are solved by emptying the '9.0' folder.
Thanks for your support

Offline Profile  

Great :D