Contact us

All times are UTC - 8 hours

[ 10 posts ] 

We've started having trouble accessing our VSS databases with SAW. Access through VSS itself is fine, but both the Windows SAW client and the Java client (Windows and Linux) hang when accessing.

The normal log sequence goes:

Updating $/project_name
Completed
Getting sub items info...
Completed
Getting files common info...
Completed

...and then we just have the progress dialog sitting there about 1/6th complete with "Completed" as its message.

This was not a problem until last Friday evening at the earliest (when I accessed it from home). As SAW exhibits the same behavior on both Windows and Linux (Kubuntu 9.10) on several machines I'm currently working on the theory that the server (Windows SBS 2008) running both the database and the SAW service MAY have updated itself over the weekend (I'm not sure) and has started blocking SAW's access in some way.

Does anyone else have any different suggestions or solutions?

Last edited by sam_brown on Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Update: The test get I set off to get the information in the post above finally completed after two hours. About ten minutes ago it started giving me "Getting..." messages, and finally the dialog diasppeared.

However, it didn't get everything, there are plenty of files missing. There doesn't seem to be any pattern as to which files it got and which it didn't.

:? :?:

Hi,

Did you check the tips in the following article to get a better performance? If not, please take a look at it:
http://kb.dynamsoft.com/questions/426/H ... e+issue%3F

If the problem persists, you can contact our support team via LiveHelp to have an online meeting. Our LiveHelp can be found at:
http://www.dynamsoft.com/support/livehelp.aspx

Thanks.

I went through the list, but we were pretty much doing all of it already. :(

If I try and get individual files, I do actually get an error. Some files are fine, but others give me an error along the lines of "Access to file "D:\directory\directory\databases\database\data" denied. And the files it does this on seem to vary from machine to machine.

The fact that the path shown is local to the server points to the problem being the SAW Server or Service being unable to access the files it want to send. Maybe the server itself has started denying access to certain files, and the constant timeouts are what's slowing the whole transfer?

Update: To check if the server had total access to the database folder I copied it. This completed sucessfully, so the server definitely has read access to all the files in it.

I then pointer the pointed the server at the copy instead of the original and tried to remotely access it. But I kept getting Access Denied on the same files.

I've run a check, and the database itself is not corrupt, nor are any individual permissions preventing read access.

This no longer seems to be a performance issue, it's just the fact that so many Access Denied errors are slowing down large gets.

Update again: I installed VSS and SAW Server on another server, this one running Windows Server 2007 rather than SBS. I copied the database from the first server to the second, then set up myself as a user on the database I'd copied.

I get exactly the same problems with this new install, yet once again there is nothing wrong with the database - getting it with VSS works fine, and all the files are intact.

A solution! :)

I eventually took a note of all the files on which I was getting "Access denied" on and deleted them out of the database using VSS and Destroy Permenantly. Then I added them back in again from my local copy. Now the SAW Java client and the SAW Windows client will both get the files again, no problem.

So, despite the fact that VSS could get the files okay (and they were intact) and the fact that VSS Analyze didn't pick up any errors, there was obviously something still wrong with those files that rendered them inaccessable by SAW. :?

Does SAW add any information of its own to the files that could get corrupted?

I am glad to hear that you found a solution by yourself.

SourceAnywhere for VSS does't add any info to the files that could get them corrupted. As you know, SourceAnywhere accesses VSS database through VSS API. That is why the product behaviors differently from VSS sometimes.

For your case, the possible cause of the problem is that the files were corrupted. If you encounter such problems again in future, I recommend you use a higher version of VSS Analyze tool (such as version 8.0) to check the integrity of your VSS database. (Version 6.0 does't pick up all the errors sometimes.)

Thanks.

Catherine wrote:
For your case, the possible cause of the problem is that the files were corrupted. If you encounter such problems again in future, I recommend you use a higher version of VSS Analyze tool (such as version 8.0) to check the integrity of your VSS database. (Version 6.0 does't pick up all the errors sometimes.)

I agree, it looks like they had managed to get corrupted, and in that case I presume "Access Denied" was all the information the VSS API was giving you.

It's interesting that VSS Analyze doesn't pick up all the errors, I shall lobby the accountant to let me get 8.0. :)

Thanks!

That's a good idea. :)

[ 10 posts ]