Contact us

All times are UTC - 8 hours

[ 14 posts ] 

Hi,

I have a problem with the SAW for VSS Client running on Windows, as connected to a SAW proxy on our local network:

Every once in a while, my local SAW Client loses track of the working folder I set for the root project (probably other projects as well), and shows the status "Unknown" for all files in every sub-project. The only way to fix the file statuses then is to set the working folder again and do another "Get Latest", but this is not acceptable for the obvious reasons.

Please let me know if I can/should provide more info about the problem.

Thanks

The working folder information of SourceAnywhere for VSS is stored in .saw files at C:\Users\<user name>\Dynamsoft\SourceAnywhere for VSS. Please don't delete the .saw files. If you didn't delete the files, would you please provide us the following info?

1. Do you use the IDE Client of SourceAnywhere for VSS?
2. What operations did you do before you saw the issue? Do you notice any patterns?
3. If you have Anti-virus software running on your machine, please exclude "C:\Users\<user name>\Dynamsoft\SourceAnywhere for VSS" from protection.
4. Which version of SourceSafe and SourceAnywhere for VSS are you using?

Regards,

Hi. Thanks for the prompt reply,

I did not delete any of .saw files you mentioned manually.

1. Yes, I used the SAW client (not the VS plugin)
2. IIRC, I did a "Get Latest" operation on a project with the "recursive" and "Build tree" options enabled right after I set a working folder on the root project ($). Then I restarted SAW with the same server and database and the root project had no working folder anymore.
3. I'm not sure how this will help, but I'll try
4. Dynamsoft SourceAnywhere for VSS 5.4 Professional Edition

Hi,

Thanks for your information.

Please keep me posted on how Anti-virus software and Firewall affect the working folder issue.

When you encountered the problem, did you open multiple sessions of SourceAnywhere for VSS Client on your machine? If so, this is a known issue of version 5.4. We are going to release version 6.0, which optimized Working Folder, next week (September 14). You can upgrade to the new version at that time to see how it solves your problem.

If this is not the case for you, you can contact our support team via LiveHelp to have an online meeting:
http://www.dynamsoft.com/support/livehelp.aspx

Hi,

I don't remember having multiple SAW clients open at the time, but I did have VS open, with the plugin enabled on the same database, but it was in offline mode. I hope this helps.

Since, I've disabled the antivirus and the VS plugin, and I haven't noticed the problem anymore, but I can't say for sure which was the solution. But I must say, this seemed to happen at random, so I wouldn't attribute it to the antivirus (which was always on before).

Glad to hear you're releasing a new version next week. I'll be sure to grab it as soon as it's available. Will the server/proxy software also have to be updated?

Thanks!

Hi,

It just happened again... Antivirus was disabled; VS plugin was disabled; only one instance of the client ran at a time.

Does this happen by any chance if I change any of the files in the working folder while the client is not running? Is it in any way dependent on folder/file date/times? For example, if I set the working folder in the client then close the client, change the date on the folder I set and then restart the client?

It seems to me that something like this might be happening, since I've always changed some of the files in the working folder after the first "Get Latest", and then came back to the SAW client only to have no working folder set. In this case, I would expect the client to detect the changes as I browse to the changed files, but why does it remove the working folder?

Specifically, does the open-source WinMerge program interfere with SAW (that's what I use for merging files)?

I would contact online support for this, but I fear they'll ask me to reproduce the problem, but I can't, since it's random... Also, I always thought (for other forums), that it's good to have such issues solved on the forum, since this is where somebody else might look for an answer if they're having the same problem... If you think online support is the way to go, please let me know, though. Just know that I cannot reproduce the problem.

Thanks again

Hi,

I cannot reproduce the problem on my side. Here is the download link of SourceAnywhere for VSS 6.0 Beta (trial version). You can test it to see if the same problem happens again.

Professional Client: http://www.dynamsoft.com/download/Suppo ... Client.exe
Professional Server: http://www.dynamsoft.com/download/Suppo ... Server.exe

You can contact sawvss@dynamsoft.com for a trial license.

I agree with you that forum is a good way to solve problems. If the problem is solved through LiveHelp, email or other ways, I would be glad to update the solution on our forum and knowledge base, so customers can benefit from it.

Since it is a random issue, do you think it's possible that you make a video to show us the issue and help our team reproduce the problem? If it is convenient for you, you can send the video to sawvss@dynamsoft.com.

To use WinMerge as your merge tool, you can configure the tool at SourceAnywhere for VSS Client -> Tools -> Options -> External Programs.
http://www.dynamsoft.com/help/SAW/COp_E ... ptions.htm

Thanks.

Hi,

Sorry but I am not permitted to make a video, since the files we are sharing through SAW are proprietary. I'd have to edit file names out of the video extensively, and I'm not that good at video editing. I also do not have access to either the server or proxy (in order to update them to the trial version).

Unfortunately, I've provided all the data I can in this matter. You should have enough info to perform the tests on the trial versions yourselves. If you can't reproduce it though, it doesn't mean that it's still not an issue for me.

I'll reiterate the steps I did last time it happened:
1) Install SAW Client 5.4 (choose not to install the VS plugin during setup)
2) Connect SAW Client to a *SAW Proxy* Database
3) Set Working folder on the root project ($) to "C:\example"
4) "Get Latest" version on a Subproject with Recursive and "Build tree" options enabled
5) When finished, close SAW Client and merge contents of another folder into the C:\example\Subproject -> changes some files in the C:\example\Subproject folder (I did this with WinMerge)
6) Open the SAW Client again

I don't know if Step 5 is necessary. Step 1 also has nothing to do with this (I just reinstalled the client in order to disable the VS plugin).

--> The result after Step 6 is that "C:\example" will no longer be set as working folder for the root project.

Question: If I backup the *.saw files right after the first "Get Latest" will these save me the trouble of fixing this issue the next time by simply restoring the backups? (Assuming that the backups aren't broken in the first place.)

EDIT: I forgot to mention that after installing the client, I changed the "Refresh Option" to "Auto refresh the project each time being operated on" in the Options->View tab.

I tried the steps you provided and still failed to reproduce the issue.

Did any of your coworkers encounter the same problem? Did you try on a different machine?

Quote:
If I backup the *.saw files right after the first "Get Latest" will these save me the trouble of fixing this issue the next time by simply restoring the backups? (Assuming that the backups aren't broken in the first place.)

Yes, I think that should work. Please try it out and let me know the result.

Thanks.

Hi,

Like I said before, if you cannot reproduce it yourself, it doesn't mean that the problem isn't there. And yes, other colleagues also experienced the problem. I insist that this problem is still active, and it is not even by far solved. I guess now I'll wait for the next version to be released and hope for the best...
I really expected a bit more support in this matter, but all I got are ideas and a lot of "test it yourself" answers.

Thanks for the help, anyway.

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience that might have been caused to you.

Our test team is trying to reproduce the problem. I will update you once we make any progress. Meanwhile, any more information that help reproduce the problem would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Hi,

SourceAnywhere for VSS 6.0 is released today. Working Folder is optimized in the new release. Please upgrade the product to the latest version to see if the problem persists.

For information on how to upgrade, please refer to:
how-to-upgrade-to-dynamsoft-sourceanywhere-for-vss-6-0-t11180.html

If the problem persists, please pay attention to the Output window and let me know if you get any error message before you lose the working folder info.

Hi,

We have upgraded to SAW 6.0 and so far the working folder is being remembered correctly. I followed the same steps I mentioned before the upgrade, but in the meantime I've also had to reinstall the operating system. Whichever was the problem, it seems to be gone now, but I hope I'm not speaking too soon.

Thanks!

Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear that the issue seems solved with the new version.

Let me know if you need any further help.

[ 14 posts ]