Contact us

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Offline Profile  

I have SCM Anywhere installed on my desktop and laptop. Edited some files on the laptop and shelved them. Went to the desktop and tried to unshelve the files, and it told me I already had them checked out, which I didn't.

So I checked in the files on the laptop, then went to the desktop and did a Get Latest, and the newly checked-in files were NOT downloaded.

I can check out the updated files on the desktop but now I'm working with out of date files. Also, in Solution Explorer next to the checked-out files, it shows the shared icon and a tooltip that reads "checked out by someone else" rather than the red checkmark icon.

Since there appears to be no way to force the system to download the current copy of the files to my machine, the only thing I can do is to copy the newer files directly from my laptop. This is not an acceptable solution though; I just happen to have both machines available but if I didn't there is apparently no way I could check out the current version of the files. Actually the system would mislead me into believing that I did have the latest versions when in fact I don't. I only know I don't because I worked on the file, but how do I know I really have the latest versions of files that someone else checked in?

We need to be able to trust our source control system, and this is a pretty serious bug. Is there something I can do to help you debug this issue, or are you already aware of it?

Thanks.
Don

Update: more wierdness. In the Source Control window, if I right click on the folder containing the updated files I get all of the annoying status dialogs but the updated files are not downloaded. Likewise, if I click on any individual file in that folder the updated files are not downloaded.

But, if I highlight the file in Solution Explorer, then go to File -> Source Control -> Get Latest Version of <filename>, then the latest version IS downloaded. Similarly, if I highlight the entire project in Solution Explorer, then go to File -> Source Control -> Get Latest Version (Recursive) then all the remaining files in that project that were out of date are correctly downloaded to my machine.

Seems to me that something is wrong with the Source Control window. Regardless of whether I do a Get Latest from the Source Control window or the VS File menu, the end result should be the same. I still don't have the red checkmarks next to the files in the Solution Explorer, and who knows what's going to happen when I update these files and try to check in the updates, but for now at least, I know not to trust the Source Control window and always do a Get Latest from the VS File Menu.

Offline Profile  

Hi,

There should not be any such serious problems in SCM Anywhere.

>Went to the desktop and tried to unshelve the files, and it told me I already had them checked out, which I didn't.

Would you please let me know the exact error message? If the error message is "The item <name> has already pending changes", please take a look at:
http://kb.dynamsoft.com/questions/413/E ... ng+changes.

It seems to me that when you did the "unshelve", some files are in check out status already.

For the other issues, I think the cause is that you did not set the working folder properly in the source control explorer. Please note for different computers, you need to set the working folder seperately. Also, before working with the files on another machine, please check in the files first from the original machine.

If you still experience the problem, we can shedule an online desktop sharing meeting with you. Please let us know when will be convenient for you.

Thanks.

Offline Profile  

Catherine wrote:
For the other issues, I think the cause is that you did not set the working folder properly in the source control explorer. Please note for different computers, you need to set the working folder seperately.
There's nothing in the documentation that I could find that states this, and that's not a reasonable requirement. What does the working folder on one machine have to do with the working folder on another machine?
Catherine wrote:
Also, before working with the files on another machine, please check in the files first from the original machine.
Why? This is supposed to be a source control system that allows multiple check-outs. Whatever files are checked-out on one machine should have no effect whatsoever on any other machine. If there are multiple edits on different machines, then I would have to do a three way merge at some point, but that's expected in a system that allows multiple check-outs.

All I was trying to do was to shelve the files on one machine, and unshelve them on another. It's a perfectly reasonable thing to do, you shouldn't have to check in unfinshed work in order to retrieve it onto another machine, nor should you have to uncheck "Preserve Pending Changes Locally". "Locally" is the key word here. I chose to preserve the pending changes locally. Until I feel comfortable trusting this system, I'm not going to undo a day's worth of work just to shelve it so I can access it on another machine, only to find out that I can't access it because the server is confused and won't perform a Get Latest.

Even working on one machine, I've seen cases where the server thinks something is checked out when in fact it never was. Another team member has seen wierdness like this too.

It's almost like you're just tracking check-outs on a per-user basis rather than on a user/machine_name basis, but in the Pending Changes window it does show the machine name of all files that are checked out, which actually is a bit wierd. If you're really only tracking check-outs on a per-user basis, then this is a serious design flaw as it is quite easy to get into a situation where the server is confused because different source trees are in different states on different computers used by the same user.

TFS handles all this correctly. I realize your system isn't as mature and am willing to stick with it and deal with some temporary workarounds if there's some indication that these problems will be fixed soon. But the same person working on multiple machines is not an unusual situation.

Thanks
Don

Offline Profile  

Our team is looking into this and will get back to you later.

Thanks.

Offline Profile  

For what it's worth, I would also like to be able to tell what machine a user performs a checkout operation on.
Thanks,
Kyle

Offline Profile  

Hello Kyle,

SCM Anywhere Hosted 2.0 supports this feature. From the Local Path column in the Pending Changes window, you can tell what machine a user performs a checkout operation on. If the machine name does not display in the local path, it indicates the operation is done on the local machine.

Thanks.