Contact us

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Offline Profile  

When I do a Get Latest version on the root of our project, I eventually get a dialog that says "Error getting file(s): The maximum number of files can be retrieved in one operation is 3000. The number of files you are tying to get is 3272. You have exceeded the limit."

3000 files is not an unusually large number of files to have in a project. So how am I supposed to do a Get Latest? Is there somewhere that this limit can be configured?

I did a Get Latest on each individual folder in order to initially get all files, so a Get Latest on the root should actually get zero files at this point in time. So why is it saying that the number of files I'm trying to get is 3272?

Also, you really should have the version number of the client on your download page. How are we supposed to know whether there is a newer version available? Also, the "About" dialog should also show the full version number, instead of just "2.0".

BTW, this issue occurs in both the standalone client, and the Visual Studio plug-in.

Thanks.

Offline Profile  

Hello dcaton,

To prevent out servers from being overwhelmed by extremely large operations, we set a limitation on the number of files which can be retrieved at one time. Would you please email your organization ID to scmsupport@dynamsoft.com so we can lift the limitation for your account?

> So why is it saying that the number of files I'm trying to get is 3272?

When you perform Get Latest Version on the root recursively, SCM Anywhere Hosted gets all files in all the subfolders (except the cloaked folders). Since you have performed Get on individual subfolders, SCM Anywhere Hosted will only get the differentials between the server files and the local copies due to the Delta Transfer technology. And as such, the performance will be much better.

> Also, you really should have the version number of the client on your download page.

Thank you for the suggestion.

> How are we supposed to know whether there is a newer version available?

We send emails to you, our valued customers, to notify the newer version if there is any. Also, we will put the info in Global Message so you can see it when logging in SCM Anywhere Client.

> Also, the "About" dialog should also show the full version number, instead of just "2.0".

We will put build number in the About dialog in the future releases.

Best,

Offline Profile  

Quote:
To prevent out servers from being overwhelmed by extremely large operations, we set a limitation on the number of files which can be retrieved at one time.
But that pretty much makes the whole system unusable for projects with a number of files greater than 3000 (unless the limit is manually lifted). When a new person joins a team with an exiting project (as I did) it's impossible to retrieve the entire source code tree, and I wasted a good deal of time trying to figure out what I was doing wrong. At my last job we used TFS, which has no such limitations. Maybe you should add something like "please contact Dynamsoft support for assistance" to that dialog, so users know there is a solution to the problem.

Quote:
When you perform Get Latest Version on the root recursively, SCM Anywhere Hosted gets all files in all the subfolders (except the cloaked folders). Since you have performed Get on individual subfolders, SCM Anywhere Hosted will only get the differentials between the server files and the local copies due to the Delta Transfer technology. And as such, the performance will be much better.
Sure, I understand how SCC works and any subsequent Get Latest after the initial full download is only going to retrieve the diffs. But the 3000 file limit prevents Get Latest from working at all on large projects. I can't possibly know which folders have changed files, it's the job of the SCC system to determine that and only download the newer files that I don't have locally. Doing a Get Latest from the SCC root, or the root of an individual project is not an unreasonable thing to do.

I understand this is a relatively new product though and there's always kinks to be worked out, but I think a better solution could be found that prevents the servers from being overwhelmed without putting an arbitrary limit on the number of files included in the operation. TFS has no such limitations.

Anyhow, thanks for the quick reply. I will email our org id shortly. All in all the system works pretty well, but there are some quirks in the VS integration package that I hope will be cleaned up at some point. I'd like to see some of the focus-stealing dialogs replaced with status bar messages, for example when files are being checked out or the SC window is being refreshed when you click on a folder. This is pretty easy to do (in my last job I wrote a VS integration package including SCC support).

Also adding a project to a solution under SC should not automatically add the project to SC. You don't always want every project in a solution to be under SC, and you can always go to the VS File menu and choose 'Add Selected Projects to Source Control'.

Another problem is when you add a new file to a project, and then try to rename the file before the file has been checked in. For example, you add a class file to a c# project, and you hit Enter too quickly before changing the name, so the file is named 'Class1.cs'. If you go to Solution Explorer and try to rename the file, you get errors.

Another problem is that when you add certain types of files to a project, SCC doesn't seem to recognize that the project has changed. I've also seen random cases where the SCC status of a file in the Solution Explorer doesn't match the real status. Files that were checked out aren't listed in Pending Changes for example, and files that are not checked out don't have the lock icon next to the filename.

All in all though it works pretty well, just not quite as polished yet as TFS.

Regards,
Don

Offline Profile  

Hello dcaton,

After we received your email with the organization ID, we have lifted the limitation for you.

>Maybe you should add something like "please contact Dynamsoft support for assistance" to that dialog, so users know there is a solution to the problem.

Great suggestion. We will consider it in our next release.

>I think a better solution could be found that prevents the servers from being overwhelmed without putting an arbitrary limit on the number of files included in the operation.

I have forwarded this issue to our development team. We will see what we can do to better solve this issue. Our hosted service is designed to host 10,000 developers. Currently, there are 3500+ developers using our service daily.

>I'd like to see some of the focus-stealing dialogs replaced with status bar messages.
Thank you for the feature request.

>Also adding a project to a solution under SC should not automatically add the project to SC.

This feature is designed to improve user experience. If a user wants to exclude a project from SCM Anywhere, he/she can unbind the project by click Visual Studio File->Source Control->Change Source Control->Unbind.

>Another problem is when you add a new file to a project, and then try to rename the file before the file has been checked in.

You are right about this. Currently you cannot rename an item which is already in the pending changes.

>Another problem is that when you add certain types of files to a project, SCC doesn't seem to recognize that the project has changed.

Does a refresh solve the problem? If the files were added by other users in your team, you need to perform Get/Refresh/etc to update the file status on your side.

Again, thank you for the positive feedback and all the precious comments/suggestions. We will continuously polish SCM Anywhere Hosted so it can better serve your needs.

Offline Profile  

Catherine wrote:
>Also adding a project to a solution under SC should not automatically add the project to SC.

This feature is designed to improve user experience. If a user wants to exclude a project from SCM Anywhere, he/she can unbind the project by click Visual Studio File->Source Control->Change Source Control->Unbind.

I added a SQL Server Database to a solution recently. This was just a test and I didn't want the project under source control. After going through the wizard and selecting the database I wanted to import, the project created several hundred .sql files which were automatically put under source control. This was extremely time consuming.

Ideally, there should be a "do you want to add this project to source control" dialog. A similar thing happened when I accidentally added a web project to a solution under source control. Web projects add all the files in the specified directory to the project, and this again caused a large number of unwanted files to be placed under source control. It's not the end of the would, but it would have been nice if I was asked first. Worse, once the operation is started you can't cancel it. Pressing cancel only cancels one file from being added to SC, not the entire operation. In a project with hundreds of files, you have to hit cancel hundreds of times. THat's not the optimal user experience :wink:

Offline Profile  

Hello dcaton,

Thank you very much for your valuable suggestion. It is very good. We will consider it for future version.

Regards,